Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Small Beginnings

My first (bitter) taste at leading a group in singing worship songs, was when the youth pastor forgot to bring his guitar. As a youngster, I gladly offered my guitar to him, but he somehow felt it's time for me to start leading. It didn't bother him that I knew only 4 chords (D, G, Em, and A). My attempts at protesting got me nowhere. So I gave it my best. After a silent prayer asking God for help, I strummed the first and second chord, but then realised there was another chord fast approaching and I wasn't sure which one it would be. There was no music sheets. Youth Pastor Guy always seem to play everything by memory.

I took a wild guess, and right there ruined the song and was unable to find my way out of the mess I created.

That totally ruined the rest of my week. I felt embarrassed and came close to dropping my guitar playing stint, longing back to the days when Lego-blocks were the most challenging thing to overcome in my day.

Well, that was 15 years ago. I kept on playing guitar, getting some proper lessons, asking lots of questions and learning ever since. I've come a long way, and learned so much, that it would be selfish not to share the "tricks of the trade" with other new and upcoming worship guitarists.

I'll be posting some write ups with tips and thoughts, and hopefully I'll get some links posted with actual video clips that demonstrate how you can enhance your guitar playing.

Till later

Worship Pastor Guy

No comments: