Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Blessing of Affliction

Psalm 119:71 "It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees."

This is so true... (not a nice thought, eh?) Human nature is such, when things go well with us, we feel invincible & sometimes we even become arrogant. We've got an answer for everything and an opinion on every matter.

Then calamity comes.

Affliction has a way of opening our "blocked ears" to hear His voice. (Now if only I'd sit still and be quiet, I might actually hear His voice.)
We would be wise to learn from our mistakes. In affliction, to draw nearer to God. In blessing, to celebrate His goodness.
Who remembers the words to this song from Hosanna Integrity? ~ "God is good, all the time, and all the time, God is good!"

That gets an "Amen" from me!

A true worshipper worships God because of who He is, not just because of what He's done. And sometimes, like Job, we worship Him 'in spite of' our circumstances. Why? Because He is worthy. "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him" (Job 13:15).


One of the best songs that describe the reality of life and the call to praise God in the good times and the bad, is the song Blessed Be Your Name by Matt Redman. It's one of those songs that every church ought to sing.

Blessed Be Your Name in the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name
Blessed Be Your name when I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name
Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord


Worship Pastor Guy









No comments: