Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Journaling S.O.A.P.

As a song leader / worship leader ~ it's extremely important that you spend time in God's word. This can sometimes be hard going, especially if you're like me and reading is a discipline more than a hobby. I've tried many different ways of doing personal devotions, but finally settled for Journaling, using the 'S.O.A.P.' method. I take a bible book (like Psalms) and then do a chapter a day (actually, I journal often... not everyday.) And I also find that doing a chapter at a time motivates me to go at it more often, as it's doesn't take me too long to do.

S. stands for Scripture:
Read a chapter in your bible. Allow God to speak to you
though His Word. Underline any verses that stand out to you. When you are
done, look for a verse that particularly spoke to you that day, and write it in
your journal.


O. is for Observation:
What do you think God is saying to you in this
scripture? Ask the Holy Spirit to open your understanding. Paraphrase and write
this scripture down in your own words, in your journal.

A. is for Application:
Personalize what you have read, by asking yourself how
it applies to your life right now. Perhaps it is instruction, encouragement,
revelation of a new promise, or corrections for a particular area in your
life. Write how this scripture can apply to you today.


P. is for Prayer:
This can be as simple as committing yourself to God,
asking Him to help you apply His word to your life.





I'll write out an example from my own journals next. Look for it under the title 'Journaling Sample.'

Till next time

Worship Pastor Guy

No comments: