Monday, June 2, 2008

First Impressions

Ever been to a service where you're told to "turn to you neighbour and tell him 'You're looking good today...'" ~ or some other sentence that the preacher or song leader wants you to say?
I've got to be honest... I hate it! It always makes me feel awkward when people put words in my mouth.

Ever been to a church where no one turns around to greet or talk to their neighbour, and everyone keeps to them self? I've got to be honest... I hate it! It makes me feel awkward.

If those two views are the extremes in my little world, then I'm glad to say we found a good compromise in our church. We've grown a "healthy tradition" where every service starts with a word of welcome, and then an invitation for folk to "turn around and say hallo" to those sitting close to/around them. It's amazing to see the smiles flare up all around the place. And saying hallo is a natural thing to do... and many times it leads to more conversation. Some wave, some shake hands and introduce themselves. Those who know each other look glad to see each other. It's the best "ice breaker" there is for any service (in my humble opinion...)
One of the things we often hear from people visiting our church is that "it's a very friendly, welcoming church." I like that! Saying hullo to a friend or a stranger always makes for a good first impression.

Psalm 122:1 'I rejoiced with those who said to me "let us go to the house of the Lord."'

Worship Pastor Guy

No comments: